Texas A&M University


Show all | Hide all

What is allows authorized Texas A&M users to publish a personal web page.

Who can use
This service is for all currently enrolled students, faculty and staff who have a full-service account. If you are a staff member and want to see if you have a full-service account, visit the Manage OAL Account page. If you have a full-service account, it will say "OAL Computing Labs Printing and File Storage" next to the "Authorization" field.

How can a staff member become authorized to create a web page?
Staff members wishing to create individual web pages or print from Open Access Lab (OAL) computers must request this service by contacting Help Desk Central at 979.845.8300. 

What is my web address?
Your Internet web address will be

Are there special rules when making a site?
Yes, there are rules, such as the restriction banning the use of your web page for commercial activities or illegal activities. Read the Acceptable Use Policy for more information.

Does Open Access Labs (OAL) provide any help with writing HTML code?
No.  There are many resources available on the web on HTML coding.   If  you have a particular problem using something on, please contact Help Desk Central at 979.845.8300 or stop by an Open Access Lab.

If FTP access doesn't seem to be working, what am I doing wrong?
FTP and Telnet are not available on the server for security reasons. If you need to use FTP files, please use a SFTP client. If you are off campus, you may need to VPN into the campus network

What scripting languages are available to me?
Available languages are PHP and Perl.

Why do my CGI scripts not work on the server?
One reason might be that CGI is not supported "server-wide". Make sure that you have added your own CGI capabilities to your individual web page.

Are counter or traffic report services provided on
Texas A&M does not offer or support the following: counters, traffic reports or programming.

What are some guidelines when it comes to naming files that will be on my site?
You cannot use the following characters in filenames: spaces, %7e, !, @, #, $, %, ^, &, *, (, ), +, ', ".
You can use the following characters in filenames: -, _. You can name your home page file index.shtml, index.html or index.htm.

What should I do if my website gives me a page saying ERROR: FORBIDDEN?

  1. From an OAL computer, log in and open an Internet browser.
  2. Go to the Manage OAL Account website.
  3. Enter your NetID and Password, and click Log In.
  4. Click Set up my web page.
  5. Click Enable, and then refresh your browser.

How long will my web page remain online?
Your web page will remain online until you disable the web page or the University disables it for you. After you graduate, your web page may remain online for some time, but you will not be able to log in and make changes. Please disable your web page before you graduate or call Help Desk Central at 979.845.8300 to deactivate it for you.

How do I disable my web page?

  1. Visit the Manage OAL Account website.
  2. Click Set up my web page on the left side of the page (if not already selected).
  3. Click Disable.

You didn't answer my question. How can I get more help?
If you need more assistance, please feel free to ask the Support Staff in any Open Access Lab, or call Help Desk Central at 979.845.8300.