CSCE 350: Computer Architecture & Design
Welcome to the course webpage of Computer Architecture & Design or in short CSCE 350.
This course gives an introduction to the basic hard- and software components of a computer. It features an introduction to the MIPS assembly language. It covers the design of the basic components of a computer, including datapath, memory, control unit and arithmetic-logic unit.
Please subscribe to zyBooks.com that will be required for this class to access the texts, slides and class activities. You will participate in doing the assignments online through zyBooks.com.
Follow the three steps below:
1. Sign up at zyBooks.com
2. Enter zyBook code TAMUCSCE350DangSpring2017
3. Click Subscribe (you will not need the hard copy of the text book.)
Homework / Reading Assignments
1. Participation Activities of Chapter 1: Due at the beginning of labs on Friday, 27th Jan 2017.
2. HW1 Due: at the beginning of labs on Friday, 27th Jan 2017.
3. Participation Activities 2.1 to 2.4: Due at the beginning of class on Monday, 30th Jan 2017.
4. Participation Activities 2.5 to 2.13: Due 11.59 PM, Thursday, 2nd Feb 2017.
5. There will be a 15 minutes (10 questions) quiz on Monday, 6th Feb 2017. [60% from chapter 1, 40% from 2.1 to 2.5]
Labs and Projects
Check TAs webpage: http://students.cse.tamu.edu/khkim/TA/csce350/labmain.html
v Howdy and welcome to Spring 2017!
o No labs in the first week.
o I am traveling for a conference. Dr.Rabi Mahapatra will teach the first class.
o You must finish zyBooks subscription by 6 PM, Jan 17 2017.
Teaching Fellow, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
Email: d dot Dharanidhar at email dot tamu dot edu
Course Web Page: http://people.tamu.edu/~d.dharanidhar/CSCE350_Spring2017_Fellow/CSCE350_Spring2017.htm
Office hours: MW 3.00 4.00 PM or by appointment
Kyung Hoon Kim
Email: khkim at tamu dot edu
Office Hours: Friday, 11.00 AM 12.00 PM
Website: HRBB 335
Peer Teachers: Section 501 Darren Cola-Siner Email: email@example.com
Section 502 Andrew Lam Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For office hours of PTs, please check the peer teacher website.
Lecture MW 4.10 5.25 PM CHEN 112
Labs Section 501: F 12.40 2.20 PM
Section 502: F 3.00 4.40 PM
D. Patterson, J. Hennessy: Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware-Software Interface (Fifth edition), Morgan Kaufman Publishers.
However, we will use the interactive version of this text by Frank Vahid et. al. through zyBooks.com (Follow three steps below).
1. Sign up at zyBooks.com
2. Enter zyBook code TAMCSCE350Spring2016
3. Click Subscribe Note: There is no need to purchase the hardcopy of the main text unless you want that as your long term back up. The zyBook materials will suffice the class requirements.