For round you spins, on a slow axis a world as vast, and meaningful as any posed, by great Plato's solitary mind.
-- R.S. Thomas
I am currently a 4th-year Ph.D. student in the CSE Department of Texas A&M University.
My advisor is Dr. Xia (Ben) Hu. My research interests generally lie in the Explainable Artificial Intelligence (XAI) and Interpretable Machine Learning (IML), as well as its potential applications to Recommender Systems, Fair Modeling, Trojan Attack and etc. More particularly, I'm also interested in generating counterfactual sample explanation to facilitate human users better understand the model behaviors. During my Master studies, I also had some research experience in wireless networking & scheduling, specifically focusing on the resource allocation in heterogeneous networks.
- Deep Neural Networks with Knowledge Instillation
Fan Yang, Ninghao Liu, Mengnan Du, Shuiwang Ji, Xia Hu
SIAM Conference on Data Mining, 2020
- Fairness in Deep Learning: A Computational Perspective
Mengnan Du, Fan Yang, Na Zou, Xia Hu
IEEE Intelligent Systems, 2020
- An Embarrassingly Simple Approach for Trojan Attack in Deep Neural Networks
Ruixiang Tang, Mengnan Du, Ninghao Liu, Fan Yang, Xia Hu
ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2020
- XFake: Explainable Fake News Detector with Visualizations
Fan Yang, Shiva Pentyala, Sina Mohseni, Mengnan Du, Hao Yuan, Rhema Linder, Eric Ragan, Shuiwang Ji, Xia Hu
The Web Conference, Demo Track, 2019
- Learning Credible Deep Neural Networks with Rationale Regularization
Mengnan Du, Ninghao Liu, Fan Yang, Xia Hu
IEEE Conference on Data Mining, 2019
- On Attribution of Recurrent Neural Network Predictions via Additive Decomposition
Mengnan Du, Ninghao Liu, Fan Yang, Shuiwang Ji, Xia Hu
The Web Conference, 2019
- Large Scale Heterogeneous Feature Embedding
Xiao Huang, Qingquan Song, Fan Yang, Xia Hu
AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2019
- Towards Interpretation of Recommender Systems with Sorted Explanation Paths
Fan Yang, Ninghao Liu, Suhang Wang, Xia Hu
IEEE Conference on Data Mining, 2018
- Summer Associate in AI & Machine Learning (@ J.P. Morgan, 2020/6 -- 2020/8)
Mentor: Dr. Jiahao Chen
Project: During this internship, I mainly focused on generating counterfactual explanations to solve the reject inference problem in loan applications, and also help build a counterfactual explainer demo for behavior analysis of the deep trading agent.